Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. Henry Ford
Christopher S. Kunkle, CPA, CFE, CITP, is a Senior Manager in Herbein’s Accounting and Auditing Department. His primary areas of expertise are related to software and manufacturing clients, as well as employee benefit plan audits. Chris is responsible for managing audits of all sizes, ranging from large software developers to small, local manufacturing, construction, and professional service clients.
He is heavily involved within the firm's cyber security area niche, being one of two employees with the Certified Information Technology Professional certification. As this area changes regularly for our clients, Chris is instrumental in staying up to date with different security trends.
Chris is the Herbein lead in the area of Revenue Recognition for our clients. ASC 606 continues to impact many of our clients, and Chris is working both internally to educate employees, as well as externally to make our clients aware of what needs to be done in order to comply with this new standard.
“When working with clients, I always try to ask the question regarding what keeps them awake at night. The more I know about them, the more prepared I feel when we sit down to plan out future goals for them and their business.”
Internally, Chris is a key team leader is many aspects of how Herbein operates. Chris is the chair of the Auditing and Accounting Software Committee that analyzes various software packages and evaluates future opportunities internally, and a member of the Information Technology Committee. Chris is also the committee chair for the Herbein Hero Committee that awards money to a community hero every quarter, as a way to recognize and reward those who are focused on making our communities better. Additionally, Chris is a member of HWomen RISE – a key part of Horizon, our firm’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiative. HWomen RISE focuses on the recruitment, retention, and productivity of women by providing team members with the support, tools, and resources to help them succeed.
Chris is a proud graduate of Leadership Berks, and in 2018 was named a recipient of the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA) Young Leader award. DID YOU KNOW: Chris rappelled down the Abraham Lincoln Tower in Reading, PA as a way to raise money for Bethany Children’s Home!
- Employee Benefit Plan Auditing
- Manufacturing & Distribution
- Service Providers
- Accounting & Audit
- Employee Benefit Plan Auditing
- Forensic Accounting
Education & Certifications
- Kutztown University – B.S. Degree in Business Administration with a focus in Accounting and Business Management
- Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP) - American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Certified Public Accountant – Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Leadership Berks – 2014 Graduate
- Allinial Global – Firm Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) – Member
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) – Member
- Berks Ballet Theatre – Board President
- Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA) - Member
- Greater Reading Young Professionals – Member
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA) – Member; Young Leader Award (2018); PICPA State Council - Member