The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax. Albert Einstein
Barry D. Groebel, CPA has been an accountant for nearly 40 years, predominantly in the taxation practice. His career has included time with an international public accounting firm, small local accounting firms, a Fortune 500 company and now a regional CPA firm. Barry served as a Partner at Herbein until 2018, and most recently, as a Senior Consultant.
I enjoy the challenge and intrigue of working with a complex body of knowledge - tax laws, rules and regulations - and translating it in a way that clients can understand and hopefully, benefit from. There is nothing more rewarding than discovering or developing a tax strategy for a client - tax incentives for exporters, special entity structures for state tax savings or tax beneficial allocations in acquisitions - and seeing the client properly implement and benefit from that strategy.
This length and breadth of experience has given Barry a good understanding of a broad range of tax matters - including corporate tax, individual tax and state & local tax. In addition, through specific client assignments and involvement in professional associations, Barry has developed expertise in the area of cooperative taxation, Pennsylvania tax matters and mergers & acquisitions tax planning.
Barry enjoys Shakespeare, jazz and bicycling.
- International Tax
- State and Local Tax
- Tax Planning
Education & Certifications
- St. Vincent College – B.S. Degree in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Allinial Global – Firm Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) – Member
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA) State Taxation Committee – Member
- PICPA, Reading Chapter – Member
- National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives –
- Capitol Chapter president – Tax Committee member
- National Council of Farmers Cooperatives – LTA committee member
- World Affairs Council of Berks County – Member